Friday, June 8, 2012

Nicknames I have & why I have them

Summer Blog Challenge Day 6




I don't have any cute nicknames, but I do have two. It always makes me laugh on facebook , because people refer to me by my nicknames and I am sure that it confuses others. 

The first nickname is Roni, or Ronnie if my mother spells. Here is the story behind that name.

When I was born they did not have a name chosen for me. My twin bother was born and they already knew that they wanted to name him after our uncle. I was a surprise and the hospital told my family that they didn't have to name me because I probably wouldn't live. At least this is the story that I remember. (HOW RUDE)

My brother John had his name and they needed something to rhyme with it. They also knew that they wanted my name to start with the letter "R", because I have two older sister's with an "R" at the beginning our their names. 

Out of the blue my father comes up with the name Ronalee. (Nope, that doesn't rhyme, Dad) They decide that they will call us Roni and Johnny. (again..Ronnie if my mother spells it) 

Growing up I was always called Roni. John, on the other hand threw a fit when we were very young and wouldn't let people call him Johnny, so they never did. I just found this out a few months ago when I asked my sister why the whole Roni/Johnny thing never really happened. (I call "no fair" on that)

Nobody called me Ronalee when I was growing up, and it felt so good when I moved away in my 20''s and got to introduce myself as Ronalee instead of Roni. 

When the little kids couldn't pronounce my name I became Aunt Roni, so I was stuck with it again. I love my birth name and I wish that the family would use it. 

When people from my childhood write on my facebook wall, they often call me Roni. I guess that is how they remember me, so I don't complain. It's better than "shorty". (Maybe they forgot that one )

I have another nickname and it is "Rose" or "Rosie".
This is a shorter explanation.

I am a chatter online and have been a member of AOL for nearly 20 years. About 10 years ago I made a screen name with Rose in it. People from AOL are also friends of mine on Facebook, and some are now real- time friends. They call me Rose when they comment on my wall. Some call me Rosie (because they must really really like me),  and that is where part of my blog name comes from.

MJ has many nicknames for me ... too many to list. 


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THE NAME RONALEE I CAN SEE WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO USE IT. MY NICKNAME WHICH IS ALSO THE BASE OF MY TATTO ON MY ANKLE & WHEN I GOT IT I SAID THIS NICKNAME STUCK FOR 42 YRS SO I MIGHT AS WELL HAVE IT STUCK ON ME FOR REALS
    ....THE ONLY THING THAT RHYMED WITH JANICE WAS PRAY MANTIS SO YES I HAVE A VERY COOL PRAY MANTIS ON MY ANKLE.
    THAT WASN'T COOL OF THOSE HOSPITAL PEOPLE I SAY RUDE ALSO SO GLAD YOU MADE IT AFTER ALL :))

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile.