Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The worst injury I've had and how it happened

Summer Blog Challenge day 12




DANGER..JELLYFISH CROSSING




I was walking on the beach one December day, enjoying the nice cool air. One step landed on top of a moon jelly fish that was minding it's own business on the sand. A piece of the jellyfish stuck to my shoe and when I took my next step I slipped, and fell forward. 


 In my right hand I carried my cell phone, so I gripped it tight to save it. My left hand did the same with my MP3 player. I put both arms out straight and flexed my wrists to catch myself. I landed on the sand, hitting the ground harder than I had ever hit the ground in my life. 


 My first thoughts went to the goodies that I had protected in my grip. Everything seemed undamaged and I was happy for that. After leaping up to my feet I immediately searched the area for onlookers. I saw a family close by, and I studied their faces to see if they had caught my tumble. It seemed that they were too involved in their own lives to notice my dance with the sand. 


 I did what every normal person does these days and I sent this post to my facebook wall..




 Mobile Note
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
NOTE TO SELF..if you step on a jelly fish, you fall down and go BOOM ~ouch


  The pain came quickly and I decided that it was best to head back home and ice my wrists. 

 For weeks I looked like this ---

That's a wrap




  It made me so sad when I realized the things that I could not do, even though you can't tell by the look on my face in this photo. Preparing meals was so very hard to do. Thank goodness I have the luckiest man in the World who lives with me, and helped me in so many ways. I can't even begin to list here all of the things that I couldn't do anymore. My laptop went into mourning and I think that my shoes took secret walks alone while I slept. 

 With no medical insurance I was determined to just keep my wrists wrapped and let them heal. Nearly a month passed before I decided to suck it up and head in to the medical center and get checked out. The X-Ray showed no broken bones, but that didn't mean that there weren't any. (gee thanks) The only way to know if I had torn ligaments was to do an MRI and there is no way that I could afford that. 

 My doctor brought in two braces for me to use. They would cost $75 each. I started hyperventilating (nearly) and begged them to remove the braces because I couldn't possibly pay for them. She actually gave them to me for free. I hugged her and cried and I promised to not tell anyone, so you all must forget that you read this part. 






 It has now been nearly a year and a half since the jellyfish attacked me. I am pretty sure that I have ligament damage or tendon damage, or both. Most of the time I am pain free, but there are always going to be things that irritate them. As I get older I am convinced that I will have arthritis in both wrists. The heat and high humidity causes my wrists and hands to swell, and that is going to make for a long summer. Other than that, I think I'm going to be just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile.