Monday, June 25, 2012

Favorite Recipe - CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

Day 18 for the Summer Blog Hop


 I can't believe it took me so long to do this.
 Last week I made homemade chicken noodle soup.


 Since I figured I would remember how to make this I tossed out the printed recipe. This is what you call.. "winging it"  lol... chicken... winging it... get it???


You get to add whatever you want to make it your own.


 I started with the biggest pot that I had and a whole chicken that I had cleaned.


Added a lot of water.. some salt, pepper and garlic powder. 
Brought it to a boil and cooked it until done. If I remember correctly it took about 90 minutes. It depends on the size of your chicken, so you have to check it and see when it is done. 

After the chicken is done.. you remove it from the water and let it cool. Strain that water and save it. 


I diced up some carrots, onion, and celery. 
Again.. you get to decide how much you use. 
 I did about 4 carrots, 4 celery, and half of an onion. 


Using the same big pot that I cooked the chicken, I put half of the water back in and added 6 cups of chicken broth. Add your vegetables to this and cook over medium heat until cooked. The recipe that I had said that the water would boil down and to keep adding more of the saved water that you used for the chicken. Mine didn't cook down too much and my vegetables were done within 20 minutes. 


Instead of putting my egg noodles in with the vegetables I used the leftover chicken water, plus some of this vegetable water and I cooked the egg noodles in a separate pan with that.
(did that make sense?)

The picture here shows dumplings that I decided to make, using my Bisquick received for a survey. We LOVED those dumplings. 


I tore up that chicken after it cooked, chopped it up, and put 3/4 of it in with the vegetables and dumplings, and the other 1/4 in with the cooked noodles. I didn't need to do that, but I wanted to explain why you see chicken in here with the noodles. We did end up mixing it all together. 


And there you have it.

My chicken noodle soup



With dumplings 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile.