Sunday, April 22, 2012

Trifextra: Week Thirteen

  Golden Hair (and her three brothers)

   She came into this world unexpectedly, born 3 minutes after her twin brother. A great surprise indeed and perhaps a "WTF?" moment for her parents. The doctors suggested that she not even be given a name. "She probably won't make it", they said. Well, how strange that would have been to grow up without a name. 


  The first boy, a year older, who I will refer to as Front Seat, because every darn time Dad said we were going someplace he would call out "front seat" before I could even get the sound of the "F" from my lips, was annoying. He usually found a way to get exactly what he wanted, and he seemed to want a lot. A mumbler in his younger years, that continues to this day. I suppose if there is no need to talk, you just become a mumbler.

Sometimes he was a little too hard on others, and sometimes, he was a little too soft.


Boy number two, the twin, who I will refer to as Funny HaHa, because he always made people laugh. I don't know if he felt the need to be noticed, or was he really a funny guy. I do know that if I didn't laugh at his jokes I would get punched in the arm, sometimes; and sometimes I would just get punched in the arm. Yeah, he was also annoying amusing like that. He had curly hair while we were growing up and people always asked me if I wished that I had his hair. Today he is bald and maybe now people ask him if he wishes that he had my hair. (HA) 


Sometimes his jokes were sweet, and sometimes they left a bad taste in your mouth.


The last boy to join the family, the baby, who I will refer to as Missed, because he left this World way too soon and I miss him terribly. He was a year younger than I, and for the longest time he was my best friend. He was picked on and punished for things that I don't think he ever did. The first to wear glasses and the first to be told "if you run away, you can only go in your underwear." He did just that, and made it all the way to the top of the hill before returning home. I learned a lot from my baby brother and I don't think that I ever told him that. I hope that he learned a lot from me as well.


Sometimes he would stand up for himself, and sometimes he would just sit there and take it.


Three different boys with three different personalities. Each one helped to mold me into what I am today. They may have been soft, hard, sweet, sour, and a little rough around the edges, but each one of them were also...

 
  JUST RIGHT !!


 

~ This is not really where I was planning to go with this post, but today is the anniversary of when my younger brother ventured off into the unknown. I often wonder how we can go without talking to someone for years at a time, but as soon as they are gone we can think of a million things that we want to say to them.




This post was in response to Trifecta Trifextra Weekend Writing Prompt.

The prompt :
Re-tell the classic Goldilocks and the Three Bears story.  You can change the setting, the characters, and whatever details you wish, but the story should still be recognizable to us.  
CLICK HERE to join in on the fun

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what a touching, and innovative way to approach this prompt. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been a fun journey. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your brother.

    I think this was a good, well-written story. Imagine being a surprise like that! I guess no ultra sounds back then. :). Glad they named you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read Libby, and for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. we always have so much to say to those we're missing. Sorry you cannot say those things in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara
      It was cathartic for me to write this. I am sure he was listening.

      Delete
    2. What a sweet way to respond to the prompt and honor your brothers. Sweet and sad.

      Delete
  4. Sorry for your brother. And this is very well summed up. I am sure all your brothers will be very proud of you. Love flows in every word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story is a poignant way to capture that memory of him. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for linking up with your touching story. I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother. I loved the details you chose to identify the brothers. Nicely done. Hope to see you back again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile.