Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap year virtual run - TAKE A LEAP


I thought for sure this one was going to kill me.

Yesterday I signed up for a virtual 2.9 leap year virtual run at http://lifeasarunningmom.blogspot.com/
  and it took all of my energy to get it done. As I wrote earlier this week, I am on the verge of spiraling into a slump. The good news is that I will not let that happen. Bad news is.. there is no bad news. (smiling)  I battled that treadmill today and I won.

It was almost 70 degrees here and I really wanted to do this run on the street, but I have no way to measure 2.9 miles on the street and Running Mom was asking for our times, so I grabbed my music and headed downstairs to the treadmill. Good luck was on my side and there were no snowbirds to push out of the way get in line behind.

Here we go. Music blasting into my ears from my running playlist as I started on my warm up. Blah blah blah, 3.5 mph never seemed so slow in my life. Cranking it to a speed of 4.5 for a nice jog instead, seemed like a fine idea. NOTE TO SELF: don't cheat on the warm up. Six minutes in I was ready to pack it up and go back home.

I ration with myself and decide that I can just bump it up a notch every 30 seconds, so this is what I do. Before I know it I am at a steady 6.0 and feeling pretty good. Run girl run!!

Snowbirds walk by as they prepare to leave until next year (sucks to be them), housekeeping women make running motions at me as they pass (I dislike it when they do that), and I see the shadow of my ponytail swing back and forth as I run like the wind. 


One glance down at the treadmill tells me that I have finished 1 mile, and I think that I am going die right there. Perhaps I am exaggerating just a little, but I really didn't think that I could go any further.

My mind starts spinning with so many thoughts. Certainly I can stop right now and just make up a time. GASP Did I really have that thought?? In my head I start crunching numbers and try to estimate how much longer I have to go. Thirty minutes at the most, maybe ten songs, I can do this.

Again, I start playing with the buttons. Walk at 3.5, jog at 4.5, sprint at 5.5 and pretend it is 4.5 (this actually works), and then run at 6.0 or 6.5 until I think I will die again. Up down, up, down, check my time, check my pulse, breathe, pant, whimper, PRAY.

Finally I can see the end in sight. Now the game I play inside my head is what will my ending time be? By now I can tell that it will not break any personal records, and this makes me sad. One last conversation in my head and it goes something like this. "Suck it up buttercup and lets get this done", so  I did.

When my 2.9 miles were finished, did I collapse on the floor? No I did not. What I did do was continue, because I have this new addiction to the number 3.1 and I wanted to see it on the treadmill.

So there you have it. I ran my 2.9 miles in 35:25 and I finished 3.1 in 39:00.

Was it my best time? Nope.
Was it my worst time? Nope.

Now I have to learn to accept the reality about running times and how they can change daily.

TAKE A LEAP - IT'S LEAP YEAR

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Never heard of a virtual run but I like it. Maybe next time I'll hear about it in time. I have 2 hours of cardio in this week. One hour to go Friday on the cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job and I am so very proud of you! I love the "suck it up buttercup"....

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile.