Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge (Vol 15)

click the button and join in 
Thank you Joyce !!


Wednesday Hodgepodge Vol. #15


1. Did you know there is a national day of pretty much everything in the universe?  Feb 23rd happens to be National Inconvenience Yourself Day...when was the last time you were inconvenienced?

   Honestly, I couldn't think of anything to put here, so I guess that's a good thing.

  Have you heard about the jellyfish that tripped me, sprained both of my wrists, and totally inconvenienced my life for over 6 weeks? 


IT WAS DEAD AND FLAT LIKE A PANCAKE..NOT AS OBVIOUS AS THIS ONE
 

2. When a room in your house needs painting, who does the job?


    MJ does the main painting, and I do the edges.


3.  Are you friends with your cousins?


     I have 36 cousins, and they are all from my mom's side of the family. I have not been very close to any of them until recently. Over the past year I have been in contact with a few of them on facebook, and I am thrilled about that. Last April I even had the chance to spend time with my cousin Matt, after more than 20 years of not seeing each other. 

 

4.  Do you use an alarm clock-if yes, is it an actual alarm, music or something else?

 

  We have an alarm clock that sits on the nightstand on MJ's side of the bed. It was purchased about 5 years ago and plays "twinkle twinkle lucky star", by Merle Haggard. It is an alarm clock that you can load your own wake up message or song. (Bought on clearance for $3) I never would have believed that he would still be using it after all these years. I never hear it. He wakes me up by kissing me on the cheek. 

 I have to share a picture here, because I remembered that there are 3 alarm clocks on his side of the bed, but only one gets used. 



5.  What do you put ketchup on?

 

   I put it on my scrambled eggs, but I don't gob it on like a maniac. Usually, it's a little swirl for flavor. I don't put it on my french fries, but I do dip my french fries in it. YUM !! If I have hot dogs I will squeeze a line down the dog. 

 It is a main ingredient in my sloppy joes; and I think that about covers it. (no pun intended)  MMMM I think we will have sloppy joes tonight for dinner.


6.  What smells make you nostalgic?


  Baby lotion. One smell of baby lotion and I am transported back to bath-time with my babies. 

 

7.  Did you hear about the high school  English teacher recently suspended for some things she wrote on her personal blog?  You can read the story here but in a nutshell she vented a lot of frustration onto her blog.  She didn't mention individual students by name but she did make some harsh comments about kids in general and their parents.


What are your thoughts-if you're a parent is your child's teacher online and are you a 'friend' or 'follower' there?  If you're a teacher are you on facebook and do you accept or friend students there?  How about their parents?  If you're a student are you friends with your current or former teachers online?  Do any of them have blogs you read?  If you're a teacher or a parent do you ever use your blog as a place to vent your frustrations with our educational system?   So much to discuss....


Yes, I did hear about it and have mixed feelings. I would be upset if she were teaching my child. If she feels the way she does, maybe teaching isn't for her, but we all have bad days when we want to vent, and it seems that she should be able to vent on her own blog. I don't do good on discussion questions, so I will leave it at that. 



8.  Insert your own random thought here.



The last question gives me a great opportunity to bring up my own rant here.
  Last September I called in sick to my job. I won't go into detail, but if I wasn't in bed, I was on the toilet. (enough said) My place of business is a restaurant/bar that is owned by family of family. I have been employed there for 6 years.
   The day after I called in sick I happened to post a goofy video of myself on facebook. I was dancing in my living room and just having fun. The video had been recorded about a week earlier. Well, my boss is a friend of mine on facebook. To make a long story short, she took me off of the schedule. Fired me, although they never use those words. They just stop scheduling you. I was leaving town for 4 months to head to our Florida home, so I assumed that she would get over it and everything would be fine when I returned in March. (next week) Apparently she still thinks that I was not sick back in September and I was dancing around the house, not wanting to work, so I have no job now when I return to Omaha.     ::shrugs:: 

Want to see the video?? (It was here for 4 hours and I chickened out and deleted it)





  

2 comments:

  1. I think you pretty much summed it up accurately in #7. Sorry bout your job... So easy to miscommunicate online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one of Facebook's drawbacks. So many thinks are nebulous and up for misinterpretation. But after 6 years of working for a family restaurant, I am shocked at the callous treatment. Best wishes for a new and "better" job!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile.